The Irish Whale And Dolphin Group (IWDG) is hosting free shore-based guided whale-watching events around the Irish coast on Saturday 21 May to mark National Biodiversity Week. IWDG personnel will lead events in 5 counties, assisted by local members and experienced observers who will share their skills and experience on the day. It offers a fantastic opportunity to learn more about the marine wildlife visiting our shores, and to pick up some tips that will help you spot these iconic marine mammals for yourself.
All the watches will take place between 10am and 12 noon, and are open to everyone. There is no need to book: simply turn up on the day and make the most of the experience. If you have binoculars, or better still, a spotting scope, bring them with you, as the better your optics, the better your chances of seeing whales and dolphins on the day.
As with any outdoor event, the organisers ask that you dress appropriately for conditions on the day, and please remember that successful shore-based whale watching is highly weather dependent. Local IWDG watch-leaders reserve the right to cancel events without notice in the event of high winds or rain, both of which render shore-based whale watching unfeasible.
IWDG Biodiversity Week Whale Watching Events
- Loop Head, Co. Clare, meeting at Lighthouse, leader Mags Daly, Ph. 083 8401102, email: [email protected]
- Dun na mBó, Mullett Peninsula, Co. Mayo, leader Sean Pierce, Ph. 086 8368736, email: [email protected]
- Rathlin Island, Co. Antrim, meeting at West Lighthouse, leader Pádraig Whooley, Ph. 086 3850568, email: [email protected]
- Howth Head, Co. Dublin, meeting @ Balscadden Car Pk, little shop (Howth Hub), leader Dave O’ Connor, Ph. 087 6665049, email: [email protected]
- Cloghna Head, West Cork, meeting @ Galley head view car park, leader Denis O’ Regan, Ph. 083 3369775, email: [email protected]
See the full announcement on the IWDG site here, and If you’d like to brush up on your shore-based whale-watching skills ahead of the event, check out our handy whale watching guide here.
Leave a Reply